Make your own glitter glassware
How long does it take?
2-3 hours, depending on number of glasses.
Before you start:
Wash glasses thoroughly and dry completely.
- Tape saran wrap over the mouth and base of glassware to protect from the spray sealer that will be applied at the end. Make sure the tape covers the lip of the glass so you won’t apply glitter where your lips will be.
- Lay out craft tape on cutting mat and cut in half to create stripes of varying thickness.
- Tape stripes onto glass, alternating thick and thin stripes with varied spacing.
- Select your colors and apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the glass for the first color. Make sure the layer is as thin as possible and try not to get too much Mod Podge on the tape.
- Sprinkle glitter onto Mod Podge, catching the excess on a clean sheet of paper (you can funnel it back into the jar). Repeat steps 4 and 5 for as many colors as you will be using on the glass. Add a second coat if necessary before the first coat dries completely. Use a spoon to apply glitter more accurately when stripes are close together.
- Before the Mod Podge has the time to dry completely, put on disposable gloves and spray Glitter Blast Clear Sealer according to directions on the can. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area and cover the glass completely. This will prevent the glitter from coming off later- the more coats, the longer they will last.
- Remove tape immediately- if you allow to dry fully before removing the tape the stripes won’t come out as clean. Use your craft knife to carefully peal up part of the tape if it is stuck.
- Let dry completely before using and hand wash only.